Do I 'Send Message' or write on someone's wall?

Thu, May 1 2014 05:34am IST 1
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts

Hi Everyone, I am just trying to work out the differences between ‘Send Message’ and writing on someone’s wall.

I assume (after a bit of trial and error) that if I click on the ‘Send Message’ button at the top of a person’s page, the message is sent and seen only by that person? However, if I write on a person’s ‘Wall’ it is sent to that person and also appears on the Word Clouds home page?

Is there a protocol as to which one of these I should use?

Help very much appreciated.

Thu, May 1 2014 06:03am IST 2
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Hi Red, you have assumed correctly. Send Message is simply a personal message to that person so, you use either one as you find is appropriate. Smile
Thu, May 1 2014 06:49am IST 3
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts
Many thanks Baz.

Now will this comment I write stay just in this forum, or appear on the Word Cloud wall too?

We shall see...
Thu, May 1 2014 06:52am IST 4
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts
I confirm, it remains solely in the forum Smile

Thu, May 1 2014 07:06am IST 5
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Don't forget also, if you write a topic on here, remember to click on 'Watch Topic' above to make sure you are flagged in the 'Notification' area of any replies to a topic.
Thu, May 1 2014 08:34am IST 6
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts
Ha, get it.
'Watch Topic' is a fickle button, which will only appear if I'm logged in.

Thanks for that, its a useful function. Means I won't be replying 3 months later. Smile
Wed, Jul 29 2015 05:20pm IST 7
Bluestar
Bluestar
15 Posts
I too had this question - so thanks for asking it, and, what do 'quote to topic' and 'quote' mean? I've posted a story in the competition forum and would like to comment on some of the other entries but am not sure how.
Wed, Jul 29 2015 05:30pm IST 8
Seagreen
Seagreen
2181 Posts
Comments on the other comp entries are generally posted on the wall of the person whose entry you wish to comment on. Or in a private message :)
Wed, Jul 29 2015 08:29pm IST 9
Bluestar
Bluestar
15 Posts
Thank you. So when you see a comment on your own wall and you want to make a comment back do you have to click on the sender's picture to go to their wall and then put your reply in "comment"? Or can you reply from the comment box on your own wall? ... I've been doing it different ways and have not been sure people have actually received my comments...!
Wed, Jul 29 2015 08:43pm IST 10
Mashie Niblick
Mashie Niblick
1072 Posts
I tend to reply by clicking their name, taking me to their wall.
Wed, Jul 29 2015 08:56pm IST 11
Bluestar
Bluestar
15 Posts
Ah, thank you. So in that case you would have received my comment back to you - good. If I just comment back on my own wall then presumably the person I'm responding to won't necessarily see it then?...
Wed, Jul 29 2015 09:17pm IST 12
Mashie Niblick
Mashie Niblick
1072 Posts
Correct ;=) If you comment on my wall, I will get a notification.
Thu, Jul 30 2015 06:19am IST 13
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts

Hi Bluestar and welcome to the Cloud. Good to see my queries have been useful to someone again.

Mashie, I receive an email if someone writes on my wall… perhaps there is a way of setting it to ‘notification’ or ‘email’?

And my advice with regards to those buttons ‘quote to topic’ and ‘quote’…. don’t touch them! They do horrible things like copying the whole body of the text out again, when all you wanted to do is make a small comment. I made that mistake… poor Seagreen had her competition entry copied all over the place :)

Thu, Jul 30 2015 07:33am IST 14
Mashie Niblick
Mashie Niblick
1072 Posts
Rr I can't see how to stop that. You can decide about requests and messages triggering emails. I've just turned mine off to see if that stops all emails.
Thu, Jul 30 2015 07:46am IST 15
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts
I actually prefer the 'email' option. I have to be logged on to see the 'notifications', and by the time I've logged on the notications have sometimes lost their urgency. I was just curious to see what options were available...
Thu, Jul 30 2015 07:06pm IST 16
Jill
Jill
494 Posts
It is a matter of getting things right to suit our own needs, otherwise one just gets information overload and wastes time! Definitely steer clear of Quote to Topic/Quote ~ I got caught with that one a few years back and won't touch it with a bargepole now. :)
Fri, Jul 31 2015 09:18am IST 17
Pinkbelt75
Pinkbelt75
1404 Posts
Why? What does quote to topic do? I've never understood either of those two little things, sitting there in the right had side of every message. Please explain.
Mon, Aug 3 2015 02:56pm IST 18
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts

Pinks, as I remember, when I clicked on ‘Quote’ it simply re-copied the message and put it into a new box. I suppose it could have its uses…

Not sure what ‘Quote/Topic’ does. Let me know if you try it out :-)

Tue, Jun 20 2017 04:04pm IST 19
Rae
Rae
20 Posts
Erm, what exactly is your 'wall' meant to be? I'm assuming it's the first page I see when I log in. Sort of like, say, my home page on facebook. Except it doesn't seem to be.
I had an email to say someone had written on my wall. If I hadn't had that, I wouldn't have had a clue. When next I logged in, I had to scroll down for about 5 years to find the post on my wall. There just seems to all sorts of other posts on there which, if you excuse the pun, clouds the issue.
Can non-relevant posts be stopped going onto one's wall? If, indeed, that page I see is my wall.
Lordy, it's confusing. Is the Word Cloud based on really ancient software by any chance? :)
Tue, Jun 20 2017 04:07pm IST 20
Rae
Rae
20 Posts
* There just seems to be all sorts ... *
Curses to the uneditable posts!
Tue, Jun 20 2017 04:24pm IST 21
Rae
Rae
20 Posts
With a tadge of oojimiflippin about, I can answer my own question. The wall, apparently, is found at the bottom of My Profile. Who'da thunk it?
That's only taken me three years to figure out. Laughing
* pours martini to celebrate *

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.