Opinions wanted on my book cover lamination! :)

Mon, Dec 8 2014 08:36pm GMT 1
jamesfinegan
jamesfinegan
3 Posts

Hello there!

I am currently planning on going down the traditional publishing route, but will soon be self-publishing for friends, family and a few select others.

I am planning to print via Print on Demand Worldwide.

I am very new to this, and know very little about the printing world. Some opinions from some of you who have self-published would be greatly appreciated.

Do you believe that my covers below would look best if finished with glossy or matt lamination? And do you have any reasons why?

Again, thank so very much to anybody that can help me out.

James.

1.jpg

2.jpg
Sun, Jan 18 2015 08:09pm GMT 2
Philippa
Philippa
1584 Posts
Looks good!

I'd say Matt if you want it to look older and more "classic", gloss if you want it to look more modern and new.

But this is simply my own ideas, as I have no professional expertise in this!
Mon, Jan 19 2015 08:48am GMT 3
RedRuth
RedRuth
384 Posts

Oh what fabulous images.

I would say the visual texture of these images lends itself to a matt finish.

Isn’t soft matt finish more ‘in’ at the moment too?

Sun, Nov 8 2015 05:28pm GMT 4
Daisy White
Daisy White
275 Posts
These are fab - I will add my vote to the matt version!
Sun, Nov 8 2015 06:42pm GMT 5
Giselle
Giselle
2992 Posts
Hello James.

Gloss makes the colors stand out more and is traditionally used to attract attention. But it takes fingerprints. With your cover (great, btw), I don't think this would be a problem. The difference between the two (gloss vs. matt) is just a plastic film applied after printing, which also strengthens the cover and protects it.

I'd personally go for gloss. Now you have 2 votes either way. Sorry! Cool
Mon, Nov 9 2015 08:36am GMT 6
Tim Franks
Tim Franks
298 Posts
Brilliant cover for this subject and a younger audience. I would be cautious, which it seems you are being, about going for big sell on self-publish. Just heard another agent, this weekend, say if you try for mass sales and fail it just puts them off. - But as you've said - Doing for family and friends, just make that clear to agents when you write to them. - What about a satin finish - sorry just being obtuse.
Tue, Nov 10 2015 09:02am GMT 7
Squidge
Squidge
2185 Posts
I've had gloss covers on both Granny Rainbow books - it looks good and makes the colours appear more intense - which might work for you cover (love the design and great blurb!) - BUT...lamination can be tricky. It can start to peel from the outer edges of the cover and I've had experience of the laminate bubbling along the spine crease. This is based on gloss finishes self-pubbed via createspace (anthologies) and via a kosher printing facility in town (Granny Rainbow). It's also slightly more expensive.

So on balance, I'd say if you're self-pubbing just for friends and family, stick to matt and there'll be fewer potential problems.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide.
Sat, Jul 8 2017 12:26pm IST 8
manortypesetting
manortypesetting
5 Posts
Tbh, in my opinion, your cover would look good either way. It's a great cover. Thinking about it, I think a glossy finish will give it a more modern, brighter look (which might work better in your case). A matt finish gives a more classic feel, and it might end up making the cover look slightly dark .
Thu, Jul 20 2017 10:48am IST 9
3335 Posts
Your cover is wonderful, James. I wonder how many pages your book contains. I've just asked for a quote on the site you mention and was shocked at how much just one book cost (£77). I know they're cheaper in bulk but that was a shock.

I use Lulu.com and I know from experience that they are a lot, lot cheaper and the quality is really good. They also give you the options offered by Worldwide. Just to clarify, a book using over 300 pages would cost you around £10 incl postage. It gives the option of reducing the retail price (which is costly) as much as £17 to, say £9 if using their 50% discount.

You can also state how many books you'd like to order before you start the print process.

Hope this helps and good luck with your book.
Thu, Jul 20 2017 10:50am IST 10
3335 Posts
I forgot to mention they'll give you an ISBN too.
Thu, Jul 20 2017 10:51am IST 11
3335 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say, the gloss version looks good, but, as Giselle mentioned it does pick up fingermarks. However, I've had not trouble with the lamination peeling off.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.