Blogs to visit

Wed, Oct 5 2016 07:42pm IST 1
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts

Hello guys,

I know that blogs are good place to view certain people's style of writing. Looking at how they critique and review on topics but most of all indulge in their stories. Writers can expand their minds and perceptions from looking at the views of others. Your world is widened and so your stories start flow with more creativity and more depth to them.

Now i know i should offer a multitude of blogs for you guys to visit but i only have one and its a good one. Ejtruths, its a starting out blog. Even though its establishing, his first quote on the topic of who people are was very powerful. I advise you to take a journey with this blogger, as an established writer myself i really recomend it. I also ask that you help this blogger out by spreading it around, word of mouth or social media. This guy can be a real success.

http://ejtruth.weebly.com/

Thank you for reading

Wed, Oct 5 2016 07:54pm IST 2
bazbaron
bazbaron
1397 Posts
Hi, Gamain32, I agree. This guy is just starting out too, take a look see what you think.
https://bazbaron.wordpress.com/#content
Thu, Oct 6 2016 07:33am IST 3
Jenni Belsay
Jenni Belsay
693 Posts
Thanks for the pointer. Had a look. To be honest, for me to be interested in following his blogs, his writing would need to improve, in the way he puts his arguments across as well as in basics like punctuation. Even though this is his first one, it's a shame he didn't spend more time polishing it before publishing. But if he sticks around the Cloud he might learn a thing or two and, with practice, I'm sure his writing will get better. Smile
Thu, Oct 6 2016 02:22pm IST 4
Squidge
Squidge
2176 Posts
What Jenni said - but I like the poem for today. Good luck with the blog, because I suspect it might actually be you writing it, Gamain.

Thu, Oct 6 2016 05:27pm IST 5
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts

Hi Squidge. I see how people may think i wrote this blog but it really isnt the case. I have a student that i mentor in writing and he really wanted to start a blog. As well as my comments of course, i knew it would be helpful to also get the comments of other writers as well. Believe me if i find the time to create a blog, i would have a go at it.

I just want this blog to get a wider audience because the comments would really help him inprove. Please just spread the word about this blog, comment yourself if there is something you like.

Thu, Oct 6 2016 06:12pm IST 6
bazbaron
bazbaron
1397 Posts
Hi, Gamain, the truth of the matter is, there are zillions of blogs out there in the ether and the only way to capture visitors is to publish quality content on the pages he posts. When I say quality content I don't just mean in terms of perfect grammar or spelling, but more of the kind surfers take an interest in.

One of the hardest things to do in blogging (a bit like writing novels) is to build up an audience and the only thing that will engage an audience is to have something unique to offer, in terms of content and especially 'voice' ... the sort of thing you would get sitting around a table in the old English pubs of yesteryear.

Another constraint is making the blog visible to search engines, and the only way that can happen, is again to make use of certain vocabulary which (crawlers) use to identify the content of websites. For example, if your student's blog is all about let's say, 'the god question' - then s/he must produce content which is a revelation to that which we don't already know.

It's a hard World and the only opportunity one has of someone visiting a site is to either have a surfer Google words specific to a sites content or by advertising the fact that EJ has a blog, but, as I said earlier the landing page has to be such that it has the same appeal as a book cover, the first thing a visitor reads has to engage within a millisecond or the visitor leaves to go somewhere else.

Hope this helps. Baz. Wink
Thu, Oct 6 2016 07:14pm IST 7
Debi
Debi
7359 Posts
Hi Gamain. If your student is looking for ways to engage with people, and also to improve their writing, the best thing they can do is to join the Cloud.
Thu, Oct 6 2016 07:24pm IST 8
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts

Hi baz,

I just wanted to say that you are preaching to the chior, i have informed my student of this. I have been in the business ten years but i believe what would help my student more is if he got the comments first hand rather than through me. He has changed his first post and tweaked his poem. By all means please comment on his blog and helping people know about his blog as well would help.

Thu, Oct 6 2016 09:03pm IST 9
Jenni Belsay
Jenni Belsay
693 Posts
Gosh, so you've been in the business since you were 11? (Your profile says you're 21.)

If, in addition to or despite your mentoring, you think we can help your student, why not suggest he joins the Cloud? If we had the opportunity to get to know him first hand rather than through you, we might be more tempted to read and comment on his blog.
Thu, Oct 6 2016 09:47pm IST 10
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts

hi Jenni

Yeah i kind of exaggerated my age i am actually 35 years old. I was filling out my profile details in a rush. Jenni i have tried and tried to convince this student of mine to join the cloud but he isn't having any of it, he would rather make it on his own through a blog than a forum, which is completley ridiculous as forums are a wonderful way to improve one's writing. So i'm here on his behalf and as his mentor i'm going to do whatever it takes to improve his writing.

Fri, Oct 7 2016 06:53am IST 11
Jenni Belsay
Jenni Belsay
693 Posts
ej is stubborn, eh? At least he won't run the risk of becoming a number on the Cloud. As his mentor, you could perhaps copy edit his revised first post for him? Take out the typos, stray capital letters, that kind of thing? Show him how to make it look more professional. That's what i'd do. It's great that he's expressing himself, and i wish him luck with his blog.

You're published, you say? Tell us more. Unless it was another rushed exaggeration?
Fri, Oct 7 2016 11:28am IST 12
bazbaron
bazbaron
1397 Posts
"So i'm here on his behalf and as his mentor i'm going to do whatever it takes to improve his writing."

So, forgive me if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, Gamain, but as this person's mentor, shouldn't you be supplying him with the following kind of information.
  • The pronoun (I) should always be capitalized in English, even when it is not the first word of a sentence. This rule does not apply to any other pronoun. Linguists aren’t entirely sure why this rule developed in English, but the pronoun (I) have been capitalized since the 1300s. There are no exceptions to this rule.
  • Study similar blogs to ejtruth in order to find how they attract visitors using - layout - content - visual characteristics.
  • Try out the different templates on offer from weebly to come up with a much more striking front page, especially using the old addage, 'a picture paints a thousand words' kinda thing.
  • There's nothing worse than confronting a white page with hundreds of meaningless words, so break it up by using images and give examples of why your truths are the be all end all of civilisation as we know it.
  • Lastly, if it was down to the reader to tell 'your student' where he's going wrong. Does that make the reader 'The Mentor?'
Sat, Oct 8 2016 09:34pm IST 13
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts
Hi Jenni.
I actually am published with several successful books but for privacy reasons I can't really disclose my identity. I graduated secondary with straight a's then wnt on to students English literature, language and drama for A-level. I finally graduated university with my teaching degree and degree in writing. I finally got a successful publication deal after more rejections than I can count. I'm just now in that phase where I find enjoyment in nurturing young talent. That's my story.

In response to you baz, once you gain a teaching degree and have a student, maybe then you can understand what my purpose is here. And it is the "reader" who is the target audience, so yes the readers response carries just as much weight as my intervention as a mentor. Finally I would appreciate it if you were to stop acting as though I didn't know what I was meant to teach my student, then you may actually hear what I'm saying

Sat, Oct 8 2016 10:24pm IST 14
bazbaron
bazbaron
1397 Posts
Good to see your posts are improving, Gamain. Wink
Sun, Oct 9 2016 12:56am IST 15
Gamain32
Gamain32
6 Posts
Listen baz I really don't have time for such childish antics, this whole back and fourth isn't helping any one. Since it is evident you don't have anything productive to say, I simply ask you do not say anything at all. Just don't comment because I neither have the time nor patience. I'm here for the sake of my student.
Sun, Oct 9 2016 10:41am IST 16
Barb
Barb
1331 Posts
Hey, go easy on Baz. He's only 17.
Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:42am IST 17
Stephen Mark
Stephen Mark
1707 Posts
17? He must have led a hard life :-)
Sun, Oct 9 2016 12:22pm IST 18
Barb
Barb
1331 Posts
Used to live in a shoe box in middle of t'road.
Sun, Oct 9 2016 02:12pm IST 19
Stephen Mark
Stephen Mark
1707 Posts
Shoebox? Bloody lucky, I'd say.
Sun, Oct 9 2016 02:44pm IST 20
Squidge
Squidge
2176 Posts
Gamain - the cloudies are here because the vast majority of them want to learn how to improve their writing. They don't tend to react well to folk coming in and asking for favours - things like 'buy my book' or 'help my student' - unless they have built up a relationship within the community. As a result, threads will often develop as this one has... It's how this place works.

I would say that this thread so far has offered both you and your student some good advice from several cloudies with respect to developing both writing skills and creating an audience for a blog (going back to the original point of this thread. Oh - and you will often find that threads take on a life of their own, diverting from where it started. That's just how it goes here.)

I hope that, in time, you'll get a bit more used to how we work as a community of writers, and enjoy being here on your own behalf as much as your student's when you pass the information on to him.
Thu, Dec 8 2016 05:03am GMT 21
Ricky
Ricky
17 Posts
As a tutor, I'd say there are many cool websites that are a paradise for writers like WriteToDone, TheWritePractice and Writelife that gives all necessary guidance for writers. There's also a website HowToSpell that gives excellent tips and ideas. I usually head to StudyMode for some User Generated Content that helps me better understand the way students write and gives me new ideas.
Wed, Sep 20 2017 09:13pm IST 22
Mat
Mat
7 Posts
She was horrible to Baz, eh?

I can't find any websites. Something like Granta should be an inspiration, but their headline story was a terrible CW effort..all: '"and then;" he said...to the tendrils.' [I'll break them one day, when I'm legendary & dead.]

I was foaming about that Granta for a couple of days, it was a real disappointment, worse than the other one that only takes ladies. [forgotten the title].

Then, more recently I tried to be a Spectator kind of guy, but that takes financial investment after three reads. Most 'official writer stuff' is kind of monobrow written by cat people - like the Writer Magazine/or The Internet '10 tips.'

As for blogs, I have a great deal of experience with blogs. Generally, you get two readers who want to be your friend, I never broke through to the three readers stage, although blog's still there under 'private setting.' I suppose Sci-fi's the way to go, or just being really nice to a thousand people, all day long. I'll do that when I retire.

The web - there's that split between romance writers who are read - and literature enthusiasts, they always squabble.
Thu, Sep 21 2017 01:58pm IST 23
Mat
Mat
7 Posts
Above post reads a bit 'mad,' written after 10pm - with a winebox, soz bout that :/
Thu, Sep 21 2017 05:49pm IST 24
Philippa
Philippa
1583 Posts
Easily done :)

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.