Grammarly etc.

Wed, Feb 1 2017 01:46pm GMT 1
GinnyBitters
GinnyBitters
34 Posts
Does anyone here use any editing software at all? And if so which?

I have just started using Grammarly Premium, but to be honest, the jury is still out. It is useful, but sometimes I think its main benefit is that it suggests changes I disagree with and so helping my confidence :)

Cheers

Ginny
Wed, Feb 1 2017 02:00pm GMT 2
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Hi, Ginny, I use Grammarly a lot and have arguments with it, but, what I find is, its a programme which is trying to tell you how things should be written in the Queens English, if you have it set for English and Not American/English, that is.

With fiction writing, one doesn't usually have a need to be grammatically correct so, I use it with that in mind. The main thing is, you as writer are in control, if you don't want Grammarly to take over your writing, tell it so either by adding YOUR words to the dictionary or, just ignore what you don't want put right. Hope this helps. Baz.
Thu, Feb 16 2017 11:00am GMT 3
GinnyBitters
GinnyBitters
34 Posts
Hi,

So sorry, I just didn't see this reply. My apologies :)

I have 'trialled' Grammarly, and find that the full version is just too irritating. The free version does all I need. Good point about fiction and the 'Queen's English.' I think that was the clincher for me :)

G
x
Fri, Jul 7 2017 11:53am IST 4
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts

Hi guys,

Very interesting to hear about this Grammarly tingy. Just wanted to understand more how this would help and how to use it to help with my ms.

English is not my native language. I have finished writing my first children's novel, now busy with self-editing. Would this Grammarly help me to correct my English errors such as grammar, the correct way how an English native speaker would say, rather than me writing in my language and change it to English. (Hope you know what I mean).

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Melinda

Sun, Jul 9 2017 03:54am IST 5
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
It could help you understand more about how proper English is written, but what it does is, in a case like the opening of your first paragraph above, it would probably suggest that you haven't written the sentence correctly and tell you to start it: e.g. "It is very interesting to hear about Grammarly." it would try to correct the tingy, which it would 'see' as a typo rather than a colloquial spelling (if that is what it is).
Also, in conversations between characters it would try to correct how people talk to each other, for instance if a character said, "Me and, Julie walked hand in hand to the theatre." It would prompt you to write, "Julie and I walked hand in hand to the theatre."

Hope this helps. Smile
Sun, Jul 9 2017 01:05pm IST 6
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts
Hi Baz,

Thanks. This is wonderful, can't believe my luck to have Grammarly to help me. After few attempts, I managed to download it. Just wondered it is free or free with a time limit? Do I really need to go for Grammarly Premium? I am writing a Children's novel, doesn't need too sophisticated English I suppose.

I always have the fear that my English is not good enough, therefore scare to share my work. Hopefully, with Grammarly, my confidence will increase and can brave myself to share my work more.

Many thanks for sharing with me.

Melinda
Sun, Jul 9 2017 04:40pm IST 7
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Hi, UA, I'm not sure if the trial version is time limited or not or it's just that you don't receive the full benefit, e.g. with the premium version as well a receiving regular updates, you have the storage facility of your work plus it's a worthwhile 'tool' to have if you're going to make your writing as professional as you can.

One of the main benefits as far as I can see is that should you manage to aquire the services of an agent (which you'd need to do on becoming an author) it's worth paying the money to make sure the mistakes in your work are minimal (in the eyes of a potential editor).

In the case of writing for children, I think you'll find that there is even more reason for your stories to be grammatically correct, even though with dialogue exceptions are made.

Hope this helps. ;-)
Baz.
Sun, Jul 9 2017 06:17pm IST 8
Claire
Claire
18 Posts
Grammarly is great - I have the premium version because I write a lot of proposals at work and type fast with lots of errors. The free trial is 30 days, I believe? I don't agree that fiction needn't be grammatical -- agents and editors find grammar and spelling errors extremely irritating, so eliminate them. Good luck!

Sun, Jul 9 2017 07:27pm IST 9
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts
Hi lovely people,

Many thanks for your time to enlighten me. Baz, totally agree with you. Most likely I'll go for the premium version but right now will continue to use it and get to know it a bit more before I sign up.

Tue, Jul 11 2017 08:57am IST 10
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts

Hi guys,

I have signed up for Grammarly Premium. Can it be used on multiple devices? How can I use Grammarly on another PC eg. my work PC, Nexus, etc. Do I need to download it to the device I'm working on?

Any advice you can give is very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Thu, Jul 13 2017 07:36pm IST 11
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Hi, Melinda, you can download an app to work with Microsoft Word on your computer. Any other device you can just log in to the online version. Your work is saved to your account on the Grammarly cloud.

Wink
Sat, Jul 15 2017 05:43pm IST 12
tkzlone
tkzlone
16 Posts
I personally think ProWriting Aid is way better and insightful than Grammarly. It does not have a fix as you type option, but, it does have a lot of options. No software can replace the skills of a true editor, but they surely can point in the right direction.

ProWriting Aid caught way a better number of errors than Grammarly could.of them can b
Sun, Jul 16 2017 10:33am IST 13
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts
Thanks, Baz, this is a great help.

ProWriting Aid is better! Oh... no, came a bit too late, already signed up for Grammarly, another time yeah. Thanks for sharing with us. I am sure someone will pick this up when looking for a writing tool for help. But is so good to know so many tools out there to help the writers...

Sun, Jul 16 2017 04:01pm IST 14
Mr.Smith
Mr.Smith
32 Posts
Just to confuse things more, I have ProWriting aid but also the basic version of Grammarly running on word. ProWriting is my main one but I then run my work through Grammarly and it often finds different problems.

The best thing to do is use them as a guide and check the changes they give you, neither is always correct and sometimes they give very strange corrections.

Mon, Jul 17 2017 08:13am IST 15
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts

lol... this is getting more interesting. So, can you have both running at the same time or can you choose which one you prefer? Since, each can pick up different errors, then this gives a second editing, first ProWriting then Grammarly.

Tue, Jul 18 2017 02:34pm IST 16
bazbaron
bazbaron
1398 Posts
Hi, Melinda, just a word from the wise. Go back and read my first post up there. Yes, there are loads of tools to help the wannabe writer, but... at the end of the day you should just write your story to the best of your ability in the first place. Use writing software with caution. You will find as you read and write that you'll pick up the industry standard formats and what's acceptable for publication. As I said up there at the top of the thread - software of this nature doesn't integrate the 'human' side of your writing, relying too much on it and it can take the emotion/style out of your words. Good luck.
Fri, Jul 21 2017 09:43am IST 17
Undiscovered Adventures
Undiscovered Adventures
8 Posts
Hi Baz, sure, thanks. Definitely interesting to know what help can these tools give. Still, we need to use our common sense.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.