Festival of Writing 2017

Mon, Sep 11 2017 10:09pm IST 1
Benjamin86
Benjamin86
77 Posts
Guys, it was a pleasure... What a great weekend, I now have some friends who are also writers!
Festival low - realising I was sh** at pitching face to face to peers.
Festival high(s): All the workshops, all the one 2 ones, all the realisations and revelations and celebrations!
And to new friends, especially table 26 (high fives) and all you others i spoke to :)

Come on let's all do a high point low point thing drive away that reality check of Monday morning!

Mon, Sep 11 2017 11:40pm IST 2
Gus
Gus
114 Posts

High point: The fulll package. I know it was only yesterday that we all went home, but I think the FoW is like one of those films you watch, where you come out of the cinema thinking "well that was quite good", but it's only later on when you've had time to think about it, and to remember certain scenes and moments, that you realise how great it actually was.

Low point: drinking a little too much on Friday night...

Most of the workshops have really stick with me, particularly Hal Duncan's How to Write a Sentence.

Because so many of the workshops are on simultaneously, do they repeat any of them year-on-year, or are they all different each time?

Tue, Sep 12 2017 08:59am IST 3
J.net
J.net
684 Posts
Regarding the workshops, Gus, there is a bit of turn-around and new ones introduced, but others do come back year-on-year. If you missed out on one you wanted to attend, or had to interrupt it with a 1-1, it is always worth asking around for any notes that others might have taken. My Self Edit course fellow students have kept in touch after the course and are already exchanging notes.
Tue, Sep 12 2017 11:36am IST 4
Fernie
Fernie
9 Posts
Ben, I am thoroughly loving that shout-out to #table26. The Gala was such a brilliant night. Really glad to have met you and everyone on that table.

It was really good to meet so many talented, funny, and encouraging people. Thank-you to everyone - you all made the weekend incredible. How special to have so many like-minded and exceptionally kind people on here. I feel very lucky.

Tue, Sep 12 2017 12:39pm IST 5
L.
L.
123 Posts
#table26 is definitely one of the highlights of my weekend!
Tue, Sep 12 2017 03:25pm IST 6
Gus
Gus
114 Posts
May #table26 forever live on in infamy...
Tue, Sep 12 2017 03:27pm IST 7
Gus
Gus
114 Posts
We just need to get Emily and our Canadian friend Matt to join the WordCloud.
Tue, Sep 12 2017 06:48pm IST 8
Sparepen
Sparepen
139 Posts
We will always have table 26!

Now there's an opening line for a story...

I had a brilliant weekend. There was so much going around in my head on the train home. Work on Monday morning was a hassle I didn't need.
I've had time to digest all the information I gleamed from the workshops, and I've learned some amazing stuff. I'm fiddling with the structure of a WIP and fixing a few issues with my main project.

High point of the weekend was meeting such amazing, like-minded people to talk books and all things writing.

Low point was my shoes rubbed, so I spent most of the time in the heels I took to wear on Saturday night. Not used to heels now I have a child, meaing I've been hobbling around the past few days.

Epic fail.
Wed, Sep 13 2017 04:48pm IST 9
Lulu
Lulu
18 Posts
Gus, absolutely second what you have said, I am still somewhat reeling from it and going back over conversations I had. The only difference being that I regret drinking too much on Saturday night instead . . .
and that I appear to have missed being shortlisted for a place at table 26! I did meet some great people on mine though who I will stay in touch with
Wed, Sep 13 2017 07:50pm IST 10
Joyful
Joyful
61 Posts
So I feel quite left out now I realise I wasn't on table 26! Great weekend already looking forward to booking next year. BUT, if only Harry could make this Wordie programme more understandable for those like me who are SO not easy with computer 'stuff' Joyful
Wed, Sep 13 2017 08:25pm IST 11
Benjamin86
Benjamin86
77 Posts
Haha, I'm sure there were many other good tables too...

Joyful just to say that everyone i spoke to thought your Friday night live reading was excellent and hilarious! I hope you got some attention from agents for it :)

Wed, Sep 13 2017 08:34pm IST 12
L.
L.
123 Posts
The beauty of table 26 is that it happened purely by accident! Looks like next year "we gonna need a bigger table". Sorry you were worse for wear on Sunday but Lulu that dress on Saturday night was amazing! Joy - please keep up updated on Vera.
Wed, Sep 13 2017 09:24pm IST 13
Sparepen
Sparepen
139 Posts
Joy, I loved Neat and Tidy Vera. She was my favourite entry, but I was out-shouted on Friday. I did, however, laugh out loud more than once, which disturbs me a little because what does it say about me?

I don't agree with what the one judge said about the letter burning against Vera's thigh. If I had a suicide note that read, 'You win, Bitch.' it would burn against my thigh. I thought the description very apt, but then what do I know. All I know is I loved Vera!

Thu, Sep 14 2017 08:40am IST 14
Fernie
Fernie
9 Posts
Haha, there's always room for more people at #table26! I am starting to feel the post-FoW17 blues though...

Joy, I agree with the above comments. It was very entertaining - but with that slightly unsettling edge. Brilliant entry.
Thu, Sep 14 2017 10:40am IST 15
Gus
Gus
114 Posts
Table 26 isn't a physical location, it's a state of mind ;-) Fern, have you convinced Emily to join the WordCloud yet?
Thu, Sep 14 2017 10:51am IST 16
Gus
Gus
114 Posts
Has anyone else started trying to incorporate their one-to-one feedback into their manuscripts yet? I've done a couple of thousand words in the last two days, but I'm experimenting with different ways to boost the prominence of my main character within the first chapter. One of my main pieces of feedback was that it's not clear who the main character actually is.
Thu, Sep 14 2017 11:15am IST 17
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
Good luck, Gus. I need to rebalance my characters in the first few chapters, too.

I'm still unpacking all I learned at York. Andrew Wille gave us a questionaire as a way to look at your book's structure, and the results with my novel are a little mind-bending. That, plus I had an editorial crit, a few days before York, which gave me some brilliant ideas. It's a lot to take in all at once, and it will be a few days before I'm ready to go back to the coal face and start over with my pickaxe.
Fri, Sep 15 2017 11:04am IST 18
misterphipps
misterphipps
4 Posts
Ohhhhhhhh.
This is what you meant by hanging out on the Word Cloud.
Was lovely to meet you all. My profile picture is sideways, because 2001.
Fri, Sep 15 2017 11:08am IST 19
misterphipps
misterphipps
4 Posts
Has anyone else started trying to incorporate their one-to-one feedback into their manuscripts yet? I've done a couple of thousand words in the last two days, but I'm experimenting with different ways to boost the prominence of my main character within the first chapter. One of my main pieces of feedback was that it's not clear who the main character actually is.

Yes. I was pitching a YA novel, and the feedback was it felt more high-middle grade - so now I'm looking at it with that lens.

It also means seeing if I can cut 10-15,000 words to bring it to the top end of that genre. It's actually got me quite excited.

Fri, Sep 15 2017 12:07pm IST 20
Debi
Debi
7404 Posts
*waves at misterphipps* Cool
Fri, Sep 15 2017 10:47pm IST 21
misterphipps
misterphipps
4 Posts
*waves at misterphipps* Cool

Wooohooo!

Fri, Sep 15 2017 11:47pm IST 22
Gus
Gus
114 Posts
Hi misterphipps, I remember meeting you at tht FoW - welcome to the Word Cloud Smile
Sat, Sep 16 2017 10:15am IST 23
misterphipps
misterphipps
4 Posts
Hi misterphipps, I remember meeting you at tht FoW - welcome to the Word Cloud Smile

It's your fault I'm here, I think.

I feel like I'm in the cool kids club now. Well, as cool as a man can be when he wasn't sitting at Table 26.

Sat, Sep 16 2017 11:04am IST 24
Debi
Debi
7404 Posts
Oh, we are all achingly hip here. Apart from those of us who just have aching hips. Welcome and enjoy.
Sat, Sep 16 2017 11:55am IST 25
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
If our table had a number, it was love. Loving York, loving each other, and in love with writing. On Saturday night, I was surrounded by four authors whose work I have read and love, and two more I would like to read Smile
But that was a week ago. Sigh...

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.