Festival of Writing 2017

Sat, Sep 16 2017 10:19pm IST 1
J.net
J.net
694 Posts
I also expelled a deep sigh, John, when husband and I drove past Newton Way today on our way to York centre. I'm starting to work on some suggestions and loving the changes. Still undecided on others though - need more thought.
Sat, Sep 16 2017 11:29pm IST 2
Benjamin86
Benjamin86
80 Posts
Yeah, it's sad, isn't it. I keep walking up to random strangers and asking them 'what do you write?'
Sun, Sep 17 2017 06:00pm IST 3
Catasshe
Catasshe
667 Posts
Haha, Benjamin, that's v good :-). Only wish I'd been there, sounds fun!
Sun, Sep 17 2017 10:57pm IST 4
Debi
Debi
7406 Posts
Friday Night Live was on Radio 4 today! Check it out here. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b094s2sv#play
Mon, Sep 18 2017 08:28am IST 5
GippsGirl
GippsGirl
1234 Posts
Turned on the radio in the car and ... wait! Can this be what I think it is? How fab that FoW was featured! Nice job WW.
Mon, Sep 18 2017 08:29am IST 6
GippsGirl
GippsGirl
1234 Posts
Just a wee shame that not all seven of the Friday Night Live authors were mentioned by name in the programme because they are all 'ones to watch.'
Mon, Sep 18 2017 12:10pm IST 7
Philippa
Philippa
1590 Posts
I know - I was in the car with my husband, bouncing in my seat going "that's it! That's the Festival I was at! I was there, hearing those pitches!' Very exciting, though probably more for me than him :)

Thu, Sep 21 2017 09:43am IST 8
Squidge
Squidge
2195 Posts
Ahem. Would just like to point out... There have been no tiara photos. Cry

Thu, Sep 21 2017 11:28am IST 9
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
My tiara went missing, Squidge. Something to do with R. Ravenclaw, I believe. There was indeed plenty of finery on show, but my pictures don't do the wearers justice.
Thu, Sep 21 2017 01:57pm IST 10
Squidge
Squidge
2195 Posts
Tongue out Mr Taylor. R Ravenclaw should know better. Wink
Sun, Sep 24 2017 07:21am IST 11
Aiyla
Aiyla
477 Posts
Oh my gosh! I have just listened to that link and I have tears in my eyes. Wow, what emotion and excitement!

Thank you Debi for that peak behind the curtains for those of us who weren't at the festival. It has been my dream to go since the beginning. Maybe next year.
Tue, Sep 26 2017 03:50pm IST 12
Gus
Gus
115 Posts
Has anyone else started acting on the advice/inspiration they received at the FoW? I've started going through my MS again with a fine-tooth comb, trying to split up 'info-dump' exposition into conversations and thoughts, as well as tightening up on psychic distance. So far, Part 1 of my novel has grown from about 14K words to about 16.5K words!
Tue, Sep 26 2017 05:57pm IST 13
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
Great stuff, Gus. I wouldn't worry about the overall size of the novel until you're done. Mine tend to start slim and grow between drafts, but this one is now shrinking a little: they're all different.

I've started on mine, too, but a visit to the novel's home town means I'm back at the beginning with some new ideas on top of ideas from York. And then there were the ideas from an editorial review before York. Too many ideas! But they'll settle and merge when I get going.
Wed, Sep 27 2017 10:14am IST 14
Gus
Gus
115 Posts
I'm not worrying - I always thought it could be a little longer anyway! The full draft is currently only 109K words, which is on the short side for a 'fantasy epic'... Also, as I work on sorting out the psychic distance, I'm trying to make sure there's suitable amounts of free indirect speech. I've already included quite a lot of it by accident (before I really know what it was), but now I'm actually looking at it specifically.
Sun, Oct 1 2017 08:12am IST 15
Benjamin86
Benjamin86
80 Posts
It's been a good way to renew enthusiasm about our own projects, hasn't it. Yeh I'm doing the same, Gus, although since my first draft isn't finished I am just ploughing on with all the feedback I received in mind. Then there's going to be a LOT of editing to do when I finish, hopefully just before xmas. Been offline for a week while I was working on a super-crucial scene in my book.

I booked on to the self editing course starting in early Jan - has anyone else done the same? Really looking forward to it – I needed another deadline to work towards!
Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:33pm IST 16
Debi
Debi
7406 Posts
Excited to hear you'll be on the next self-edit course, Benjamin. Keep chucking out that first draft.
Sun, Oct 1 2017 02:08pm IST 17
Gus
Gus
115 Posts
The self-edit course is one of my many potential 'next steps'. I want to go over my full MS one more time (at least) before I decide what to do next.
Sun, Oct 1 2017 02:38pm IST 18
Kate
Kate
975 Posts
The SE course will change the way you write forever. That's what somebody said to me before I did it. I was sceptical, but they were so right. Superb.
Tue, Oct 3 2017 02:03pm IST 19
Jennifer
Jennifer
145 Posts
To all who are contemplating Debi & Emma's self-edit course: DO IT! I learned so much from the teachers, the other students, and their works-in-progress. It is an amazingly supportive environment, while still being very constructive.

Tue, Oct 3 2017 04:14pm IST 20
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
Ditto what Kate and Jennifer says. As a learning process, it goes on and on after the course ends. It isn't just a course, it's key.
Tue, Oct 3 2017 04:15pm IST 21
John Taylor
John Taylor
1754 Posts
'say'
Sun, Nov 5 2017 09:43am GMT 22
Lulu
Lulu
18 Posts
Hi All, hope everyone is well and the creativity is flowing nicely. Just wanted to ask quickly if anyone took Emelie's contact details at the festival? She gave me her email address but I've gone and lost it (somehow) and now I can't get in touch as promised :( If you have her email and are happy to share, please message me. TIA x

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.