Kindle and stuff

Thu, May 4 2017 06:19pm IST 1
Mick McMikal
Mick McMikal
8 Posts
Hello, new here, I was a member some years back and now I am again. So hello everyone. I self published a cops and robbers spoof on Kindle some years ago and have been a bit inactive since, but reading it back recently I actually think its a little bit rubbish but in a kind of good way, have any others looked back and shuddered a little at their first offering or am I hyper self critical?
Thu, May 4 2017 07:20pm IST 2
Seagreen
Seagreen
2050 Posts
I don't know. Sometimes I look back at a more naive writing style and wish I still had it. Writing seemed a lot easier before I knew I was doing it wrong WinkWink;-)
Fri, May 5 2017 04:45am IST 3
Mick McMikal
Mick McMikal
8 Posts
Trouble is what's wrong? If you take some novels everything is wrong but it still works.
Fri, May 5 2017 08:49am IST 4
Hilly
Hilly
162 Posts
If you look back to previous work and think, 'this isn't as good as I remember' but then read later work and see a difference, then surely that shows progression. I re-read all my work every 6 months to a year and edit accordingly.
Fri, May 5 2017 09:22pm IST 5
Philippa
Philippa
1564 Posts
Hi Mick,

Sounds standard to me. I think the typical experience goes something like this:

*Loads up manuscript
???? "What idiot wrote this??"
......... Oh.
I did.

As Hilly says, looking back on old writing and being able to see (and potentially improve) the flaws means you are progressing as a writer.

I think we mostly throw our early efforts in the bin, but nothing is ever wasted, as every word, phrase, sentence you write is part of the learning process.

Solution? Just keep writing.

Sat, May 6 2017 02:49pm IST 6
Pinkbelt75
Pinkbelt75
1404 Posts
I use kindle during editing. I sometimes write something and read it the next day and think it's sh*t. Probably is in my case ;-)
Sat, May 6 2017 02:54pm IST 7
Hilly
Hilly
162 Posts
Pinkbelt, I really don't think you write sh*t, from what I've seen and heard so far. I do think that when we have self-doubt, it makes us strive even more for what we want, to be the best that we can be and not to settle for mediocre work. That's just my view.
Mon, May 8 2017 12:08am IST 8
MosquitoFB6
MosquitoFB6
158 Posts
When I look back at my old stuff, the embarrassment factor skyrockets. When I first started writing, I unconsciously imitated two writers to a slavish degree: H.P. Lovecraft and Clive Cussler. The resulting unholy alliance made for a really eldritch mystery, namely: what the hell was I thinking?

I've rather gone off both authors for reasons not worth discussing here, but they did at least kick-start my writing ambitions, so I owe them that much. I'm not at the point where I'd be ready to throw anything at Kindle and see what sticks, though.
Mon, May 8 2017 11:41am IST 9
Hilly
Hilly
162 Posts
Hi Mozzie. I'm on my tenth novel. I write, leave to simmer while I'm on the next one and then go back to it. You never think it is finished (well, at least I don't) but you have to let go sometime and send them off to agents or go down the self-publishing route. Before that though, I would seriously recommend having your work critiqued. You pay for all the faults to be unearthed and the good bits high-lighted. It's a learning curve and can be painful but it is so worth it. Good luck.
Mon, May 8 2017 03:41pm IST 10
MosquitoFB6
MosquitoFB6
158 Posts
I'd love to be able to afford a professional critique, but that's way out of my league. With one thing and another, I don't have the readies for it. That's the reason I started the Beta Barn: so I could get some feedback and, from there, improve the manuscripts.
Mon, May 8 2017 05:58pm IST 11
Hilly
Hilly
162 Posts
Hi Mozzie. I know they're expensive when you don't have a lot of dosh but if there's any way to save up for one, once you've had all the feedback from here and done all your revisions, it would be worth it. The Beta Barn is excellent though. It will help you a lot but again, take on board what you think is relevant, you don't have to take it all as gospel. Good luck, Mozzie. I'll try and help with what I can but hey, what do I know? I'm still unpublished...
Wed, May 17 2017 03:20pm IST 12
Joyful
Joyful
61 Posts
We are all waiting breathless Mozzie to see how you get on. I'm too embarrassed to tell you how much I have spent over 3 years for 'advice', editing etc etc, plus dud interviews which seemed to sail through but dumped quicker than I could wipe my nose! So, stick with us all, all of us 'outside' dying to get in. Sadly we all recognise that amongst us are ones far superior to the current success stories - J.K. Rowling. How many turn downs did she tolerate? Mary Wesley (Camomile Lawn) brought her handwritten (?wot) m/s up and was accepted, no alterations.......... miracles do happen. Have to also disclose she had famous person recommending her interview and it was a long while ago. It still stings though to remember how it used to be. Chin up everyone, will meet up in the Food Queue!!!! Love to all Joyful

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.