Scott_Martin
4 Posts
Hi all.

This is my first post so forgive me if I'm in the area
Fri, Sep 8 2017 05:04pm IST 2
JtF
JtF
316 Posts
If you can get anything at all resembling correct layout on here I'd like to know how you did it. My last attempt was pasted from notepad and still was scrambled !! Best JtF
Fri, Sep 8 2017 05:14pm IST 3
Scott_Martin
Scott_Martin
4 Posts
If I do I am happy to keep you updated. I'm trying to learn this site at the moment. It looks really good.
Sat, Sep 9 2017 12:41am IST 4
KallieRosa
KallieRosa
13 Posts
Question, are you asking about what the general script layout rules are?

If so I know you can Google how to do it for Microsoft Word. I'm sure you can also Google for others. Otherwise tomorrow when I'm on my laptop I can write out what to do for Ms Word as I can open a document to see what I did (am on my phone atm!) it's been a while since I formatted one, as I now just make a new doc from the 'template' doc. But I can do that you if it helps :)
Sat, Sep 9 2017 05:55pm IST 5
Scott_Martin
Scott_Martin
4 Posts
Hi Kallie,

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I mean the rules of letting the reader know what's going on in the screenplay. But also the rules as in font size and spacing. I hope that makes sense
Sat, Sep 9 2017 09:35pm IST 6
KallieRosa
KallieRosa
13 Posts
:) well you say what's going on in in the action bit.. But you are only limited to a couple of senses unlike in fiction.
This is essentially direction for the director, producer and actors.

And font size is 12pt and you use courier.

Tbh this site explains everything you need to know https://www.writersstore.com/how-to-write-a-screenplay-a-guide-to-scriptwriting/

It's also good to read scripts. As many as you can get your hands on. You can almost always Google a script for a certain show or movie. I would suggest looking up movies and TV shows you like and see how they are done.

Mon, Sep 11 2017 08:25pm IST 7
Mezz
Mezz
56 Posts
Hi, Scott, Welcome to the site.
BBC writers page used to have templates and suggested formats for writing scenes.
There was also a description of the recognised (by them!) abbreviations to use, EG: EXT/FX/traffic.
Means Exterior scene/ special effects/traffic sounds, that kind of stuff.
Wed, Sep 13 2017 04:57pm IST 8
Scott_Martin
Scott_Martin
4 Posts
Thanks Kellie and Mezz.

I will take a look

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.