New, but not.

Sat, Sep 30 2017 05:18pm IST 1
Edison
Edison
7 Posts
Hi,

I used to be a member on this forum a few years ago, but can't remember my old username!

I took a break after a few life-glitches, but also because I realised that my writing was mediocre.

I've taken a bit of time to read more, learn more, and hopefully turn what I've absorbed into something more compelling than my last attempts.

So, hi again, and I look forward to refamiliarising myself with all your work.

Edison.
Sat, Sep 30 2017 07:28pm IST 2
Aiyla
Aiyla
477 Posts
Hi Edison,

Welcome back. Many people come and go because life does knock on our doors from time to time. It's worthwhile returning though because there is a wealth of information here and skilled writers ready to offer their advice.
Writing can feel overwhelming at times as we often feel we have so far to go. It does takes time to acquire the skills but we are learning every day so getting closer to our dream. It's important to remember too that it's the journey that matters and enjoy the writing. Hang in there.

Aiyla Cool
Sat, Sep 30 2017 09:40pm IST 3
Edison
Edison
7 Posts
Thanks Aiyla.

Yes, agree. So many times there are reminders, from friends, from writers, even publishers, who talk about how hard it is.

I'm tackling it in a different way this time - spending more time focusing on the technical aspect in order to craft sentences; removing the guff and fluff.

Thank you for your support and welcome :)
Sun, Oct 1 2017 12:03am IST 4
Gus
Gus
115 Posts
Hi Edison, welcome (back) to the WordCloud :-)

I feel I've learned a lot in a short amout of time from being here. It was also great for getting to know some people before attending the Festival of Writing back at the beginning of September.

What do you write? I'm working on a sort-of-sci-fi-but-mostly-fantasy novel. Its currently going through it's 1,000,000th edit, and is just getting longer and longer...
Sun, Oct 1 2017 08:36am IST 5
Edison
Edison
7 Posts
It's a great source of knowledge isn't it? And it helps that the advice isn't sugar coated.

It sounds like a labour of love :) Congratulations on completing a full novel! Look forward to seeing a bit of it, if you have posted some of it on the forum :)

At the moment, I write for travel and technology magazines. However, my current project is a memoir - although I'm deliberating whether to make it entirely fiction and base it (loosely) on the original story.

I have other ideas, like a children's book, but I'm not sure the time is there, since I enjoy writing for technology and don't really want to give it up.

Nice to meet you.

Sun, Oct 1 2017 02:10pm IST 6
Gus
Gus
115 Posts
Cheers Edison, I haven't posted any of it on here yet, but I will do once I've finished the current edit.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.