Help writing a short story

Sun, Dec 31 2017 11:49pm GMT 1
Mark
Mark
3 Posts
I want to write a story. Can you give me some help on structure and how to start? Or do you have any links to short online courses?
Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:29am GMT 2
healeymonster1
healeymonster1
63 Posts
It depends really on how much experience you already have. Reading and seeing the page structure of a book is one thing, but creating it yourself is another completely.
I had no experience at all, it's 15 years since school and I barley could remember how to use punctuation.
Read on one of these sites on how to format your text so that it makes sense (if you don't already know). Then my advice would be just to start to write anything at all. Just describe a scene or a mundane conversation. From there my imagination just takes over.
Obviously, soon you'll be planing a best selling novel and will have to take it more seriously.
Good luck :)

http://theeditorsblog.net/

http://firstmanuscript.com/format-dialogue/

Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:43am GMT 3
L.
L.
237 Posts
Hi Mark, as healy mentioned it really depends on how much experience or exposure you already have to writing.

Writing a short story is pretty much the same as writing a novel in the sense that you still need a beginning with a hook or something to interest the reader, conflict, development, a middle point and an ending with some kind of resolution. The main difference is as the word count is a lot smaller than a novel you have to make every word count. Otherwise the same writing rules apply in term of exposition, POV, dialogues, etc...

I can't think of any specific blog but you could have a read on here in the Critique section as people have been posting short stories as well as the Competition section of the forum to read some examples.

Also once you have written one, feel free to post and to ask people here for feedback. I've found it to be a pretty supportive community.

I hope this helps.
Mon, Jan 1 2018 12:55pm GMT 4
Kate
Kate
1297 Posts
John Yorke's Into The Woods is a great book about structure, but everybody writes differently. Some like to plan, others just see where the story takes them. The best place to start is just getting the words on the page.
Mon, Jan 1 2018 10:49pm GMT 5
Mark
Mark
3 Posts
Thank you very much everyone. Very constructive and helpful. It's for a competition to write a short story of maximum 1500 words. I have a synopsis I wrote ages ago. I was going to make it into a novel. I might us that. I write loads of poetry and prose but only one attempt at a story. Thanks everyone.
Mon, Jan 15 2018 08:09pm GMT 6
Philippa
Philippa
1668 Posts

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.