ISN'T SELF PUBLISHING VANITY PUBLISHING AND V. EXPENSTIVE?

Mon, Apr 2 2018 01:37pm IST 1
UNGRATEFUL DAVE
UNGRATEFUL DAVE
26 Posts

Hi

Have had quite a few 'Vanity Press' companies trying to sell me the idea of just publishing my book "COLD" with no marketing surely that is suicide isn't it?

The problem being that spending £5,000 is so speculative and without the syndicated contacts around the world from conventional publishers the chances are you could be left with a warehouse full of rotting books!?

I think it also hugely depends on the type of genre of book that one is trying to self sell!?

Let me know if anyone has had serious success with this system of shifting book sales?

Best regards,

Mon, Apr 2 2018 02:13pm IST 2
John Alty
John Alty
31 Posts
You just need to look at the business model of a vanity publisher compared to traditional publisher.

Vanity publisher: Find an author, any author, take money from his pocket and put it into our pocket.
Traditional publisher: Find a good author with a saleable book, take money from the book buying public's pockets and put some of it into our pocket and some into the author's pocket.

Self publishing is a variation in which the author, convinced of the saleability of his own book, takes money from the book buying public's pocket and puts it into his own pocket after deducting editing, formatting and marketing expenses.

Leave vanity publishing to the vain.

Mon, Apr 2 2018 08:59pm IST 3
Mat
Mat
63 Posts
Uncle Charlie writes a barely legible million words about tending his allotment during the 1940s. His daughter takes the manuscript to a vanity publisher and they print ten copies after she's typed it all out nicely. They charge her £500.

Charlie's son Alfred reads his Daddy's memoir and sticks it on Amazon. He sells 63 copies in ten years until Marjory Hapsberger-Penguin googles 'war,' pressing page one hundred by accident. She is intrigued by the manly anecdotes, the digging potatoes whilst enemy doodlebugs gurgle overhead.

She takes the one million words, compresses the words down to 80 000 words, and flogs Charlie's War worldwide, makes a big buck for professional publishing, the preferred option.

Alfy lives on a beach for five years, and dies of Pina Colada poisoning.
Mon, Apr 2 2018 09:02pm IST 4
Mat
Mat
63 Posts
apostrophe crime, sorry
Tue, Apr 3 2018 09:11pm IST 5
Mat
Mat
63 Posts
no crime committed, actually.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.