Full manuscript limbo

Mon, May 28 2018 04:21pm IST 1
Kai
Kai
11 Posts
I started my first batch of submissions a little while back. I was very luck to get full manuscript requests from a handful of agents. Some agents have had it for nearly 3 months. They did send a little holding email quite soon after to say they were still reading it and I sent a little nudge again recently for the ones that had it the longest but they haven't responded.

I know it may take a while for them to get back but I am starting to worry that a few agents were keen enough to read the full but have all gone quiet. I know this is probably a nice problem to have but it's strange that multiple agents aren't responding. At least if I had a rejection/feedback I would know what to do next.

Any words of wisdom welcome. Am I being impatient?
Mon, May 28 2018 05:21pm IST 2
BellaM
BellaM
2535 Posts
Well done for getting requests for the full MS.

I think once you have sent one reminder you can't really do anything else until such time as the agent responds in some way.

Personally I think you should just get on with subbing to other agents in the meantime.

Good luck.
Tue, May 29 2018 07:00pm IST 3
Kai
Kai
11 Posts
Thank you so much!

Yes I have submitted to other agents in meantime but just wondered if it was normal for them to take so much time to respond on full and go completely quiet when you chase? It's happened with a few of them now so I am guessing it's a sign. Just wished I knew one way or another.

Thanks again
Wed, May 30 2018 10:49am IST 4
Philippa
Philippa
1670 Posts
Oh gosh, how frustrating! I feel your angst. Sounds like you've done the right things and you can't do much but sit and wait.

I don't know stats on how normal that is, but all I know is timescales don't tell you much of anything (good or bad)!

When you now send to other agents, you could include a line in your cover letter to say "... and the full MS is currently with three agents" (or something) so that the current agents you sub to feel more of a sense of urgency. If you get one bite (offer of representation) of course you can then email everyone to tell them, and that will soon bring in the responses. Till then.... arg!
Sat, Jun 2 2018 11:31pm IST 5
Kai
Kai
11 Posts
Thank you, yep have been mentioning the requests. Think I will just have to focus on some other projects and sit this out whilst biting my nails down to nothing.

Thanks again!
Thu, Jun 14 2018 04:33pm IST 6
Daisy
Daisy
12 Posts
Good luck! A friend of mine just got offered representation after four months ;-)
Thu, Jun 14 2018 09:49pm IST 7
Kai
Kai
11 Posts
Thank you, that's good to know. Still no word (and one agent has apparently gone on maternity leave so that may be a very long wait)! Laughing
Sun, Jun 17 2018 12:45pm IST 8
Bric
Bric
1279 Posts
Excellent news. Waiting is horrible. DONT STOP QUERYING. All I can tell you is that I had three requests for a full manuscript rejected after 30, 58 and 189- days respectively. The agent I signed with took kess than a week. I wrote to her after she'd had the query for a month to say that although I had other interest, she was the one I really wanted.
Sun, Jun 24 2018 09:00pm IST 9
Kai
Kai
11 Posts
Thank you Bric, given how long it's taking I am expecting rejections. The shortest has been with an agent for 30 days, the longest for 120 days, all dropping off a cliff after I send the full. I'll hold on for a bit longer and then consider looking at the manuscript again as that could be the problem.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.