Where to find readers?

Fri, Jun 1 2018 07:52am IST 1
Gemstar
Gemstar
56 Posts
Hi all, just wondered if anyone used a specific site or group for beta readers. I’ve posted an excerpt on here but obviously not the whole thing.

My Mum used to read my work (yes I know lol) but because the subject matter is ahem darker she can’t read this one and has handed it back. It’s quite personal and an event from real life has been used therefore it’s a bit painful for her.
Fri, Jun 1 2018 11:40am IST 2
L.
L.
240 Posts
Hi,

I haven't used any particular sites for beta. I've got to know fellow writers through here and courses I attended and we have become beta readers for each other.

Otherwise, I am also part of a forum called https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forum.php and they have a beta section where people can post looking for beta readers or ask to swap MS for critique.

Hope this helps.
Fri, Jun 1 2018 12:10pm IST 3
Gemstar
Gemstar
56 Posts
Thanks L, I’ll take a look.
Sun, Jun 3 2018 09:30pm IST 4
Gill M
Gill M
142 Posts
I use a Facebook group called 'Beta readers and critiques'. It's predominantly American, which can bring up some exciting cultural differences (that I was completely unaware of!). It's not perfect but I haven't found anything that is. As seems to be the case, there's always more people looking for readers than people prepared to read, although the page encourages swaps. I've had three helpful and conscientious readers that I've swapped with, one less so.
Mon, Jun 4 2018 08:30am IST 5
Squidge
Squidge
2304 Posts
I've never gone outside of the cloud for beta readers, mainly because I felt that I needed to know the person I was asking to read for me. Were they decent authors in their own right, and therefore qualified to pass comment? Did they know me and my writing well enough to 'get' what I was trying to achieve? Would they be honest with, but not precious about, their feedback? By which I mean did they trust me to make my own decisions about applying feedback, and not get offended if I perhaps chose not to implement their suggestions? Although the more you work together, the less that happens, because of the working relationship you develop.

In an open forum, it's sometimes difficult to buid up that relationship, and you run the risk of getting many and varied reviews, which, if you're in the early stages of your writing journey, can confuse and muddy your authorial voice and content so that it's not 'you' coming across on the page.

Mind you - that's the way I work. It won't be the same for everyone, and you may find a critique group works for you...
Sat, Jun 9 2018 12:29am IST 6
Donna
Donna
13 Posts

I´ve been on www.scribophile.com for a few months and I can recomend it. It´s a very good FREE writers´forum, just like here but with a lot more activity and sofistication. Lot´s of people there are published writers.

You can post pieces of your work for critique or join a number of groups to find beta readers and one-to-ones. In order to be able to post work in the main spotlight you must earn karma points first by critiquing work posted by others, and when you have enough points you can post your own work. It works well because you only need to do 3 or 4 critiques to have the 5 points required for posting work and you are guaranteed to get at least 3 critiques for your first posting.

It´s very easy to develop relationships and get to know other writers. That´s what I´ve been doing and I haven´t posted any work yet. Just finding out how everything works and earning karma points to use later.

I´ve critiqued about 20 or so pieces. I choose to only critique pieces in my genre that interest me and are well written. That way I´ll get quality beta readers for my own work. It usually works on reciprocity. I´ve engaged with several writers I like, and have already received several offers of reciprocal critiques.

It´s very easy to use and easy to get to know people. Lot´s of info in threads. The only downside... the whole site is very absorbing & distracting: I´ve spent hours reading others work, reading their critiques, checking their profiles, reading threads, replying to threadds, starting threads... you may find you spend more time online than you should. But, hey...give it a try.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.