Editing timelines

Fri, Jun 22 2018 04:52pm IST 1
Gemstar
Gemstar
48 Posts
Hello you lovely bunch!

I've got an editing question. I'm about to start editing my WIP but it has two different timelines, mostly in alternate chapters. A 'then' and a 'now' so to speak.

When editing, I was thinking of separating the two timelines, focusing on the feel/tone and ensuring it's consistent.

AsI wrote, I wrote in alternate chapters so switched hats if you like, I'm hoping that's not going to hamper me now with editing.

I would very much appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance. Gemma x
Sun, Jun 24 2018 06:02am IST 2
Bric
Bric
1279 Posts
Hi Emma,
I think that's a great idea. If you use a program like Scrivener, its really easy to separate out timelines. But even in Word (which I confess I prefer) you can use headings to make it easier to jump timelines. Or print it out and use a red pen!
Well done for completing your WIP!
Good luck
Sun, Jun 24 2018 06:05am IST 3
Bric
Bric
1279 Posts
Sorry, Gemma not Emma!

Was thinking of Emma Darwin and her super-useful toolkit

http://emmadarwin.typepad.com/thisitchofwriting/2015/07/my-best-tip-of-all-whatever-you-write.html

Write your first draft for yourself,

your second draft for your reader,

and your third draft for your agent.

Sun, Jun 24 2018 06:14am IST 4
Sandra
Sandra
2188 Posts
Another way to edit sections, in Word (I do it for characters) is to outline relevant chapters and colour the backgrounds. Or copy/ paste each time-line into separate documents so you can check for continuity. (But remember to check final line/first for hooky transition)
Sat, Jun 30 2018 03:50pm IST 5
K.S. Crooks
K.S. Crooks
42 Posts
You can use different fonts or highlights for each timeframe. I would reccomend editing all the past chapters first since the past events will digctate the present actions of your characters. Don't rush the editing and decide what the focus is each round (story line, descriptions, grammer, etc).
Sun, Jul 8 2018 01:20pm IST 6
Squidge
Squidge
2292 Posts
Just a thought... If you edit one timeline and then the other by separating them, do you run the risk of not finding out how the switch appears to the reader? If you do separate the timelines for ease of editing, do make sure you run through a version afterwards where the two are interlinked as per the final format, otherwise you might miss places where thw two timelines don't switch easily, for eg.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.