Has anyone heard of chipmunkapublishing.co.uk/shop/

Sat, Oct 9 2010 11:54pm IST 1
henza
henza
22 Posts
They are interested in my book. Don't really now much about them. Any advice would be appreciated.

henza xxx

Sun, Oct 10 2010 12:33am IST 2
EmmaD
EmmaD
3422 Posts
From a quick glance it looks as if it's not a conventional publishing model: it looks more like a self-publishing one. But they're not publishing conventional books either: if their mission is at least as much to offer a voice to people with mental health issues and stories, as it is to work commercially, then that might be a legitimate reason for them to be different. Having said that, legitimate reasons can still disadvantage you as an author. For example, they go into quite a lot of detail about the contract but don't say on what basis royalties are calculated. If they offer you a contract, I'd suggest that you use it to join the Society of Authors and get them to check it out. You could actually ring them now, and see if they can help.

I see they say they're Arts Council funded: you could ring the Arts Council and check they still are. (There have been organisations that got a grant for a single project ages ago, and then went on saying 'Arts Council funded' for ever. There's one which I keep seeing referred in the aspiring writer world as 'founded by the Arts Council, so it must be all right,' when it's nothing of the sort: neither founded by ACE, nor all right. Needless to say the owner has no interest in disabusing people.)
Fri, Feb 9 2018 05:37pm GMT 3
Tillie
Tillie
1 Posts
Expensive vanity publisher - Avoid!

There are serious concerns regarding this publisher - especially as many of their authors are vulnerable. Suggest looking elsewhere or, even better, self publish. Warning link is below

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.