Average IQ, average writer?

Thu, Apr 9 2009 08:16pm IST 1
Andy23
Andy23
43 Posts
Probably. Although there must be a few exceptions? And surely the average IQ for a reasonably successful author has plumetted in recent years. Or not? Does it merely seem that way?

And is too high an IQ a hindarance, alienating you from the majority of readers?

I read somewhere that fiction writers have an IQ of around 150. Seem about right?
Thu, Apr 9 2009 08:21pm IST 2
Lizzy
Lizzy
391 Posts
My IQ is 2!

I have never been a big fan of the IQ brigade. My IQ varies depending on what test I take.
Thu, Apr 9 2009 08:31pm IST 3
Barb
Barb
129 Posts
Does IQ help you get a reader to emote with you? It all comes into play when you have a cryptic crossword to solve or a rocket to design. But unless they are reading a technical manual, don't readers want something else?
Thu, Apr 9 2009 08:47pm IST 4
PsychoPat
PsychoPat
102 Posts

The irony of a high IQ becoming an alienating hinderance is that, if the person was smart enough, s/he wouldn't let it. It's all about getting the right readership and writing for them, in my opinion. Here's an example of a bit of writing from somebody with a high IQ (Einstein) and somebody with a low IQ (me):

"E = Mc2" by Albert Einstein.

"As Einstein grew older, his failure to figure out what all the other letters of the alphabet equalled began to depress him. He was often seen in his favourite restaurant, ordering alphabet soup, which he would simply stare into hopelessly, sometimes for hours at a time, before throwing it at other diners and storming out. His last words are widely rumoured to be, "Z = my arse," although others claim he said, "Doctor, you're fired." by PsychoPat.

Thu, Apr 9 2009 11:10pm IST 5
Tony
Tony
2590 Posts
PsychoPat's 'Einstein soup' story reminds me of an 'intellectual' joke.
Descartes was in his favourite bistro and the waiter asked him if he would like to start with the soup. Descartes paused for a moment and then said, "I think not" - and promptly disappeared.

Cool
Fri, Apr 10 2009 02:21pm IST 6
Pimlicokid
Pimlicokid
189 Posts
There's a book by Eysenck(?) on working out your own IQ. I did the assessment (tick boxes) and came out way below average/normal. Happily I'd used a pencil to fill it in.
Fri, Apr 10 2009 02:48pm IST 7
Tony
Tony
2590 Posts
Now that's what I call intelligent, PK! lol
Did nobody get my 'intellectual' joke - or was it just too obvious to comment on?
Fri, Apr 10 2009 02:57pm IST 8
Pimlicokid
Pimlicokid
189 Posts
Tony,
Yep, it was a nice one. I remember my old English teacher saying to me that he was perplexed because 'you don't think, yet you are!'
Mon, Apr 13 2009 01:35pm IST 9
Lizzy
Lizzy
391 Posts
He he I liked the pencil one! Descarte was good too.
Mon, Apr 27 2009 02:23am IST 10
C.W. Brady
C.W. Brady
41 Posts
I definitely hope not--I'm not exactly the smartest person on Earth.
Mon, Apr 27 2009 09:50am IST 11
lee
lee
135 Posts
iq doesnt really come into play regarding inteligence because the tests are to do with patterns and one could learn those, and there isnt really any tests for that but a best selling author i guess is no dunce, but look at that lady who was a best seller and she wrote a book about serving customers in a supermarket for 8 years, something like that, and it was a best seller, these are the things that really tick writers off,
so to cut the talk. the inteligent people sell their books unwise writers will find it harder or if one isnt that quick off the mark they could always get a managers job in safeway for 20 years and write a book about it, if its 10 years more behind the till than that best selling till server woman, a writer should do very well
Mon, Apr 27 2009 10:41am IST 12
PsychoPat
PsychoPat
102 Posts

Pimlicokid - your old teacher saying he was perplexed because, "You don't think, and yet you are."

Ten out of ten. Full marks. Big gold star. Head of the class. Classic.

Tue, Apr 28 2009 12:53am IST 13
Chanty
Chanty
228 Posts
Hell - this world needs all different levels of IQ's - or it would just be too damn boring... I guess different things require different talents and parts of the brain to function..

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.