Beware of DIP Publishing

Sat, Jul 9 2011 11:12pm IST 1
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
I see the Cloud has a new member - DIP Publishing. I had a message from DIP Publishing through another writer's website a few weeks ago. The agent said that he was looking for a limited number of authors for a project in which underrepresented authors would have a real chance of being published in the 'Traditional' way.

DIP Publishing is another version of Lulu. You pay to have your books printed. That's great. I may use such a service myself in the future.

But the man from DIP said he was offering traditional publishing which he inferred to be publication of a book on merit rather than payment.

I didn't believe it but I said okay I'll go along for the ride. He emailed me straight back and said "
Vic, Will be in touch very soon!" I haven't heard a dickie-bird from him.

Okay, he may be genuine, and I may be wrong in suspecting he is trying to make some money by joining writers' sites and forums, and 'courting' writers into spending. Maybe a cloud member or members have already been approached by him. If so what are your thoughts?

If the man from DIP would like to explain to us who he is and what he is truly looking for then that would be very welcome. Or perhaps he will be convicted by his silence. I hope it is the former.
Sun, Jul 10 2011 08:34am IST 2
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
Just found out a prospective author needs to pay $300 up front.

Also, the website isn't complete yet http://www.dippub.com/#/power-partner-publishing/4553129892

Come on DIP/Argus, let's hear from you. I'm not saying you haven't got anything to offer, but so far it's not looking good.
Sun, Jul 10 2011 10:09am IST 3
Nashelle
Nashelle
766 Posts
So there is no such thing as a free lunch... ! :)
Sun, Jul 10 2011 12:43pm IST 4
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
Ah right. Am I being naive then, Nashelle?

Is publication on merit finally dead? Must the unpublished author always expect to pay money to see her/his work published?

If so then fair enough. I didn't know. Then again I am relatively new to the writing game.

DIP Publishing - please humour my naivety and accept my apologies for the suspicion that it provoked.

Wink
Sun, Jul 10 2011 01:21pm IST 5
Nashelle
Nashelle
766 Posts
It's the digital age and everyone is a publisher! It's so easy to set up as a print on demand. But there are still legit small publishers out there who don't charge but sometimes you only find them by word of mouth.
Sun, Jul 10 2011 01:41pm IST 6
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
We are in the right place then eh!
Tue, Jul 12 2011 10:42am IST 7
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
The bottom line is still that you don't pay to have your book 'ttraditionally' published. Anything else is self-publishing, sometimes with a lot of (expensive) bells and whistles attached, including promises about marketing, distribution etc.

I've contacted WW to ask them to check DIP out. My feeling is that they don't belong here on the Cloud.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 11:37am IST 8
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
And ... they've gone. Wham, bam, zap that spam.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 12:55pm IST 9
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
I knew sanity would prevail!

Nice one Debi.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 01:02pm IST 10
SJ
SJ
35 Posts
I joined up yesterday and had a message from a Sophia from DIP publishing regarding the very thing you mentioned Veek. So I guess they have found other avenues to get onto The Cloud.

It does sound too good to be true.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 03:15pm IST 11
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
Yes, SJ, 'Sophia' sent me a message yesterday too.

DIP must see so much 'potential' in my writing because that is the third message I have had from them in 2 days - and after the way I have treated them! Surprised
Tue, Jul 12 2011 05:17pm IST 12
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
Well, they're no longer on the Cloud so all messages should stop. If anyone receives another one, give me a shout. I'll get my steel toecaps ready, just in case.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 05:44pm IST 13
Andrew James
Andrew James
295 Posts
Grr. Go, Tiger.
Tue, Jul 12 2011 09:43pm IST 14
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
Debi's a London gel. Alright Sis? Bet you ran with skinheads in the seventies.
Wed, Jul 13 2011 12:44am IST 15
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
Nah, Veek. I ran from them. And occasionally after them (but only when I had lots of back up).
Wed, Jul 13 2011 09:25am IST 16
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
Laughing We took a similar approach then, Debi.
I bet you always had plenty of back up when you needed it.

Where might I find some of your writing?
Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:12pm IST 17
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
Oops, sorry, Veek. Only just spotted this. You can never have too much back up, eh?

You can see excerpts, reviews etc of my books at my website. www.debialper.co.uk
Mon, Jul 25 2011 08:55pm IST 18
Veek
Veek
337 Posts
No you can't Debi!

I already found your work a few days ago.

I doubt if you'll be needing any advice on writing from me on the cloud then ;0) I might be needing yours though.

Your website is interesting. Respect to you for the things you have done.

Take care

Vic

Thu, Jul 28 2011 01:10pm IST 19
Lost Hobbit
Lost Hobbit
5 Posts
I was contacted by DIP on WorthyOfPublishing.com. I'll give you some snippets of the conversation between me and DIP.

DIP: "Hi, I've read some of your stuff and it's pretty good..."

ME: "Thanks for the compliment. Was there something in particular that you liked?"

DIP: (responded to all my questions, except to answer the above question - which I ask to see if he's actually read it)

Eventually I get the details of the agreement, which requires me to find ten sponsors to buy signed copies of my book at $30 each. I responded to let him know that I need the publisher to take all of the risk to prove they're actually going to try to market & sell my book. I get a polite response.

A few days later I get the revised details, in which the price has dropped to $20 X 10. I reply to say I'm going to email my friends and see if I can get 10 sponsors.

DIP asks me to send my novel for review, so I email it. 10 hours later I get this email:

"I have reviewed your works. Very impressive, and interesting...I have yet to see such a concept thus far. I am confident in the marketing potential behind this book. It has potential to really do some amazing things on the market." (No specifics about the content of the novel)

I'm curious as to whether anyone else has sent their novel for review? Did anyone get a similar response? I was very surprised that they managed to review my book in less than 10 hours of me submitting it. Put it this way: The time in Georgia (where DIP is located) was 6:42pm when I sent my novel. I received a response at 4:05am (Georgia time). Is it actually possible that they reviewed a 320 page book between 6:42pm and 4:05am? Not entirely unheard of since I know someone that did read my book overnight, but seems HIGHLY unlikely.

I also received a contract to sign. Besides the $20 X 10, there's one other part of the contract that bothers me: "While this Agreement is in effect the Author shall not, without the prior written consent of the Publisher, write, edit, print, or publish any material that competes with the Work."

My understanding of this is that I'll have to remove my currently self-published version of the book from the market. My novel gets loads of hits on Google, but a DIP employee's book seems to be difficult to find.

Okay... I've written enough. What do you think? Anyone want to send them an old, badly written novel, and see how they respond?
Thu, Jul 28 2011 01:51pm IST 20
Spangles
Spangles
764 Posts
Hi Lost Hobbit and welcome to the Cloud. DIP's turnround time for reading your novel does sound exceptionally fast! And it is fishy that they don't mention any details of your novel.

As for the clause about competing works in the contract they sent you, you will get a clause about not writing competing works in any traditional publisher's contract. However, the DIP clause seems to be going overboard in stating that you shouldn't edit any competing work either. And as you are expected to pay a big chunk of money towards the printing costs, this all seems rather strange.

Judging by the financial implications and their desire for you to present them with $200, this sounds like vanity publishing under another name. It's not self-publishing, surely, because they are stipulating what you as the author can and can't do with regard to the book.
Thu, Jul 28 2011 05:47pm IST 21
Debi
Debi
3574 Posts
Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. They were good reasons for them being chucked off the Cloud.

Oh and welcome, Lost Hobbit. Nice piece of detective work.
Wed, Aug 3 2011 09:05pm IST 22
Lost Hobbit
Lost Hobbit
5 Posts
Dip Publishing are still contacting me, giving me lots of compliments about my book (without saying anything specific about the content). They also explained that the reviewer only reads a few chapters, so that explains why they could review it overnight. I just wish there was a way to be sure.
Wed, Aug 3 2011 10:30pm IST 23
Weens
Weens
999 Posts
I'd steer clear if I were you.
Wed, Aug 3 2011 11:06pm IST 24
Caducean Whisks
Caducean Whisks
1669 Posts
Lost Hobbit, what is it you're not sure about?
We all want the validation of someone liking our work, but if they haven't said anything specific at all, it sounds to me like false prophets bearing gifts. How hard would it be to make a specific reference to your book?
I think you have your answer, sorry.
I believe you could self-publish for that kind of money - and at least you'd know what you're paying for. If they'll publish it if you pay them $200, why does it matter whether they like it or not? Sounds very much like they're being disingenuous.
And fancy them asking for some sort of exclusivity when they're not offering you anything at all!
[Are they offering you anything? Sorry if I've misunderstood]
So what is in it for you?
You ask for a badly written novel to be sent to them. Why don't you send them a copy of the obituaries column in an old newspaper and see if they'll publish that?
Even their response that you quoted isn't the most eloquent English and it does sound like a standard response.
Ever so sorry to burst your bubble, but it's what I think.

Go with someone you feel you can trust. You clearly have misgivings already about this lot.

Wed, Aug 3 2011 11:46pm IST 25
Lost Hobbit
Lost Hobbit
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice Wink I'll steer clear!

I suppose I just have a natural tendancy to see the best in people and assume that they're all honest and trustworthy, especially people who wear ties. I had a "friend" who was a compulsive liar and I believed everything he said for years until I finally came to my senses.

This is why I wrote a novel... I live in a fantasy world.

Please login or sign up to post on this network.
Click here to sign up.